Monday, November 24, 2008

Site Seeing (without the kids)

When Dad's trip was planned months ago, Nate decided to take the entire week off. I think I was a little jealous, so I decided to take Monday off and spend it site seeing with the guys! We spent last night working on our itinerary for today. Our plan was to drop the kiddos off at daycare, take the bus/metro into DC, and start at Ford's theater (which is closed until February).We were able to go into the Petersen house. This is the place across the street where they took Lincoln. He died in a bed too small for him at 7:22 am the next morning.
We trekked over to the National Archives Museum at 9:20. I checked the Internet and a map we had that said the museum opened at 9:00. BUT, when we arrived the sign said that it opened at 10:00. So, we headed over to the mall area and saw the Capitol and the Washington Monument. We did take pictures. (they will be in the blog tomorrow!)At 9:45 we headed back to the Archives and got second in line. At 9:53 Nate had to pee so bad the boy sprinted two blocks to Starbucks, peed, and made it back at exactly 10:00. He's fast!! Dad took actual pictures of the Declaration of Independence, Magna Carta, Bill of Rights, and the Constitution. They don't allow flash photography so, the pictures are pretty dark. After lunch, at Cosi, we headed to the American History Museum. This museum has been closed for two years. It just opened last Friday!
Before entering, I had three things that I really wanted to see....Dorothy's ruby red slippers, Lincoln's top hat, and the Star Spangled Banner Flag. I totally underestimated how HUGE this museum actually was. PLUS, I went with two Clark W. Griswolds. After we spent WAY more time that I could of imagined in the transportation and war rooms, I told these history boys to get a move on it. We had one hour left before we needed to leave to get the boys. We sprinted up to look at the slippers. Then, we went to the Presidents Hall. The first stop was a video clip. Nate and I glanced at it and kept walking. A few minutes/exhibits later, I do not see Dad. So, I go back and he is sitting down watching the video. I turned around and kept walking. Nate and I finished the room and he was still not back. He finally made it over to us and I showed him where the "important stuff" was. The top hat Lincoln was wearing the night he was assasinated was definitely a highlight.
This was a sword George Washington used in battle. We all thought this was amazing that Obama already made the wall of presidents. The most impressive thing the entire trip was the Star Spangled Banner flag. It was soooo breathtakingly large!! The history we saw today was unforgettable! Tomorrow Nate and Dad are heading to the monuments and the mint.

1 comment:

Our life... said...

Looks like you guys are enjoying your dad's visit. I can't imagine all that history stuff w/my dad...we would never leave. haha BTW...Mr. Arnold looks the same!!!!! Hope you guys have a Happy Thanksgiving.