Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day loss

We usually celebrate Valentine's Day with cards. I may get him a book or a CD and he usually sends me flowers. It's pretty low key. This year, I decided to get a babysitter and take him to have favorite dinner. He really, really, really likes crabs (especially Maryland blue crabs). We can't ever go with the kids because it's over an hour ordeal for him to eat them...and enjoy them.
So, I found a crab shack that said they have crabs 7 days a week 365 days a year. The only problem is the restaurant is in Anapolis (one hour away).
The first mistake I made was not keeping this a secret. I told him last week giving him plenty of time to scheme.
While we were getting ready, he gave me my gift. It was a pretty heart shaped diamond necklace. I started feeling the guilt already. I am taking him to a CRAB SHACK. I don't see the equivalence in the gifts at all!!!! But, I was super excited that he picked out jewelry without my help, so I got over the guilt! :)
We get to the restaurant and everyone is dressed in Capitols jerseys and tennis shoes, but we were getting his favorite meal....so it was ok! UNTIL, we sit down and I see the chalkboard that reads OUT OF CRABS!!!! NOoooooo! We just drove an hour and no crabs!! You have to be kidding me! He could see the disappointment on my face and tried to soothe me. It was pathetic. He ended up ordering King Crab and we tried to guess what Deadliest Catch boat his crab came from. It was just sad.
The story should end there, but OH NO....it doesn't! I wake up Sunday to find a box of Ghiradelli chocolates from the boys. He got a Reece cup heart from the boys. Again, I felt major guilt, but the chocolate helped a lot!
The story should definitely end here, but who are we kidding!! Yesterday at work, EIGHTEEN pink roses came to my desk. Of course, there was the sweetest card attached, but every time I look at them, I see that chalkboard sign that says, OUT OF CRABS!!! Poor Natie!!!

***Ethan took our picture before our sad little date night!***

2 comments:

Joanna Maloney said...

Haha - awww. Sounds like you had a good Valentine's Day though! FYI: there's a great little crab shack at the top of King Street in Old Town called "Erinie's." It's awesome!

jnjnahill said...

Well.... Ethan took a great picture, and I like your outfit.